Buckle up for Friday 20th March – it’s the International Day of Happiness! What better day to think about what puts a smile on your dial – or someone else’s. Introduced in 2013 by the UN with 193 unanimous votes, the day is designed to remind us that the pursuit of happiness is a basic human right within the reach of everyone.
We’ve put together a few quick tips to help you boost your happy vibe on this awesome day… and any other day of the year for that matter!
- Give someone a helping hand. Doing something kind for someone else usually makes us feel good.
- Treat yourself or someone you love.
- Go for a walk in the fresh air to get the heart pumping – it’ll do wonders to clear the cobwebs.
- Find a positive in a challenging situation. What did you learn? What did you achieve?
- Smile at a stranger, maybe they’ll smile back!
- Ask someone to tell you their favourite joke.
- Write 3 things you’re grateful for or 3 things you’ve achieved today.
- Let a friend know you’re thinking of them or send them a random compliment.
- Rock your favourite power colour; those orange pants you’ve been waiting to wear – today’s the day!
- Dance it out like Ally McBeal or Meredith Grey.
- Not confident enough for an all-out boogie in daylight? Blast your favourite tune and tap your toes or shimmy your shoulders instead.
- Watch the best bits of your favourite comedian or comedy show on YouTube.
- Learn something new – YouTube can be great for that too. Check out a TEDx talk or watch a how-to video.
- Watch your favourite movie or an episode of your favourite series. We mean really watch it, not watch while playing on your laptop while scrolling on your phone while fiddling with your tablet…
- Step outside your comfort zone and try something new, maybe you’ll feel a sense of achievement, even if the experience doesn’t go according to plan.